What keeps you sober

Now for a last thought. The easy way is the right way. The tough way is the wrong way. There's an easy way and a hard way to do this programme. The hard way is to try to do it yourself. The easy way is to know that you can't, and to recognise the need for help. I have never asked God one time, in twenty-nine years, to keep me sober. Never asked Him once. I've thanked Him a million times, but I've never asked Him once to keep me sober, because that's not the way I read my book. The way I read my book, it says, 'here are the steps we took.' When we take them, something happens; when we don't take them, nothing happens. So, as I told Father Barney, 'I've never asked God to keep me sober.' He asked, 'why not?' I said, 'I think that's not His business. I think it's my business to do these things, and His business to take care of me. And He does it. I don't have to tell him what to do about His business.

(Chuck C.)

Comments